Business Manager/Controller (Business Association/Education) – Direct Hire
Our client, an NC-based advocacy organization for teachers and other educators, is actively recruiting for a highly capable and versatile leader to drive financial and other business management functions. This Business Manager will be a key advisor to Executive leadership, and we seek a candidate whose keen financial acumen is complemented by tremendous business and communication savvy. CPA certification is expected.
Key things to note:
- This Business Manager will lead all Accounting and Financial, Human Resources, Technology, Risk Management, and Member Processing functions. He/she will supervise a team of ~ 6. Seek an experienced manager of people and process.
- This is a 501(c)(6) tax-exempt organization. Experience working within a not-for-profit organization would be valuable.
- This organization represents many members who belong to unions. Familiarity with the nuances of union membership will be important.
- This organization has undergone significant changes. Business Management strategies must be updated to meet future needs. Seek operationally-savvy and process improvement-oriented Accountant who brings smart, responsive and practical ideas for implementation.
Finally, this Business Manager will be the top Finance professional in the organization and will be a key advisor to the leadership team. Seek savvy accountant who, in addition to running an efficient, timely and quality-driven “shop,” will bring astute and valuable financial insights to the decision-making process. We seek a strategist as well as a tactician.
Specific duties will include:
- Develop goals and objectives consistent with strategic objectives for short, intermediate, and long-term planning.
- Research emerging financial, accounting and regulatory issues and make recommendations regarding their impact and implementation.
- Ensure Executive Director is kept informed of all issues impacting the Business Office and Membership Processing.
- Provide Business Office and Membership Processing staff with performance goals and clearly articulated performance expectations and regular performance reviews.
- Supervise and manage all administrative and financial activities to include accounting, budgeting, auditing, and compliance and financial reporting.
- Ensure financial accounting and reporting are in compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and implement a comprehensive set of internal controls designed to mitigate risk and enhance the accuracy of reported financial results.
- Maintain certification credentials with appropriate associations and/or licensing bodies.
- Provide monthly financial reports and analyses that include Budget, Income Statement, Balance Sheet, Cash Flow Analysis, and Membership Status (counts and dues receivable).
- Manage the Association’s relationship with the external auditors and provide adequate support for annual audits and periodic reviews.
- Provide local affiliates with training to ensure sound accounting practices are followed.
Human Resources and Membership Support
- Manage the maintenance of membership records, including monitoring and reconciling dues payments as well as developing and preparing monthly membership reporting model.
- Manage employee benefit programs and payroll processing.
- Manage the administration of retirement and group insurance plans for all employees.
- Provide financial data to management for bargaining process (compensation analysis, etc.).
- Manage implementation of employment/bargaining agreements.
- Manage all PAC (Political Action Committee) related recordkeeping and reporting.
- Maintain working relationships with bankers, attorneys, vendors, etc.
- Manage association risks with the appropriate use of errors and omission, professional liability, fidelity bonds, etc.
The right candidate will offer a financial degree and 7+ years in increasingly responsible accounting roles. Exceptional understanding of GAAP guidelines and practices assumed and required. Familiarity with not-for-profit/membership and union environments is strongly preferred. CPA is expected.
Other priorities include:
- Experience managing broad range of business matters including HR and Risk Management
- Demonstrated ability to advise leadership on the financial implications of business options
- Practiced and developmental supervisory skills
- Keen business and operational savvy
- Longevity and impact in previous positions
Finally, and critically, we seek a self-directed, focused, industrious, responsive and resourceful candidate who will thrive in this emerging and evolving setting. A lot is happening. We seek a make-things-happen contributor who will make a difference.
This is an immediate need. Please forward Word resume for prompt consideration. Company is targeting local candidates at this time.