Law Firm/Docketing Assistant, International Patents - $35-45k/Recent Grads Welcome
Our client, a Durham based law firm that is one of the leading intellectual property law firms in the world, has an immediate need for a very sharp, capable and diligent team player to join its team. While experience as a Patent Paralegal would be a plus, company will consider top-notch recent grads who meet all other criteria.
This is an outstanding foot-in-the door opportunity.
Inventors come to our client to obtain patents for their inventions. Attorneys work with their clients to ensure they are protecting the intellectual property of their work – globally. This Paralegal will support the International Patent attorneys.
Position will involve researching, preparing, filing and maintaining all documents, data and resources needed for the processing of patents. Familiarity with patent documents and filing requirements would be valuable but is not required.
Things to Note:
- Role will require regular interface with clients and colleagues across the globe. Right candidate will work exceedingly well in a multicultural setting.
- This position will be the keeper of all documents and data related to assigned patents. Seek highly organized candidate with outstanding point-person skills.
- Role will involve extensive “paperwork,” some of which may be tedious. Seek methodical and meticulous candidate who enjoys a processing role and has the demonstrated ability to maintain order, despite volume and disruption.
- Accuracy, compliance and timeliness will determine success or failure. Right candidate will bring perfectionist tendencies (the good kind), and will prioritize “getting it right.”
- Role will involve outreach to stakeholders both within and outside the firm to share and obtain information. Seek proactive and adept communicator with the demonstrated ability to garner the respect and cooperation of a broad constituency.
- This is highly regulated work, and we seek a candidate with the discipline and skills to ensure compliance and success.
- Obtain information from clients regarding their patent needs. Update systems to reflect learned information
- Prepare required documents such as Powers of Attorney, Inventors Rights documents, etc. and ensure completeness and timeliness of submissions
- Liaise with foreign agents to determine filing requirements for their countries
- Liaise with clients to ensure execution and return of documentation in advance of local deadlines
- Act as point-person for ensuring all documents are submitted; monitor progress of submissions and ensure any additional requirements are handled
- Assist with administrative responsibilities including email review/reply, phone coverage, processing quotes, invoicing clients, etc.
This is an important and immediate need.
Right candidate will offer a related degree, strong GPA and demonstrated ability to succeed in a deadline-driven, detail-focused point-person role. Paralegal and/or patent experience would be a plus. Other priorities include:
- Software fluency including MS Office Suite
- Proactive and practiced organizational skills – including the ability to juggling changing, and sometimes conflicting, deadlines
- Keen eye for detail
- Compliance orientation
- Self-directed and mission-driven work style
- Clear, timely and versatile communicative abilities
Finally, and critically, we seek a team-oriented and adaptable candidate who will work exceedingly well with a diverse constituency and an often-changing workload. This is a dynamic environment with constantly shifting needs. We seek a versatile and motivated candidate who will thrive.
This is a Temp-to-Hire position that will pay to $35-45k (depending upon experience).
Please forward Word resume for prompt consideration. Local candidates only.