Lead Installation Engineer (Unix Expertise/US Travel) – Top Dollar /Raleigh
Our client, a world-wide leader of cross-platform virtualization solutions, is actively recruiting for a sharp and industrious candidate to join its Field Engineering team.
This company offers technology that enables companies to replace aging legacy hardware with new industry standard servers or cloud technology—without changing the underlying operating system or critical applications. Their solution is designed for companies that still need their legacy applications and cannot take the risk of rewriting the business logic in a software migration. Numerous products are available, and the company is growing.
This Installation Engineer will drive clients’ transition efforts. It is a critical role and Company will pay excellent wage to attract an excellent candidate.
Key Things to Note:
- This is a customer-facing position. Right candidate will combine exemplary technical skills (detailed further below) with proactive, responsive, congenial and engaging client service skills.
- Unix and Network Administration expertise is a must. Other important technologies include Linux system, HP-UX, OpenVMS (VAX, Alpha, and Integrity), Tru64 UNIX, HP MPE- ix, and SUN Solaris.
- This will be a lead role, and will involve providing direction to junior level installation specialists. Some supervisory/coaching bkgd is preferred.
- The company works with organizations of all sizes and across industries. 50% travel is expected (1 – 3 day assignments).
- This is a company that, while established and successful, is still developing. Seek candidate who is exceedingly comfortable in a hands-on, do-what- needs-to-be-done culture.
The Installation Engineer will engage with customers in software installation / system integration at client sites and remotely. Tasks will include installing, configuring, maintaining, supporting, and optimizing products on site. Knowledge transfer and training are part of each client engagement. Each install requires pre-visit preparation and proper post-installation efforts and documentation. Seek an Engineer who will own the entire cycle.
Targeted candidate will have substantial knowledge of legacy OS environments including Unix and network administration. Strong Technical Project Management skills will be important.
Other priorities include:
- Software/hardware migration projects experience
- Network Administration (subnets, routing, cabling)
- Understanding and system management of
- virtual environments (VMware, Hyper-V, etc.)
- LAN network technologies
- storage technologies (SAN/NAS/iSCSI)
- application stacks: Oracle, Sybase, RDB, etc.
- System troubleshooting (mixed Windows/Linux/Solaris/HP-UX/VMS/Tru64/SAN environments)
- Familiarity with the following technologies:
- SUN Solaris (versions 2.x – 10)
- HP-UX (versions 10.x - 11.x)
- OpenVMS for VAX, Alpha, and Integrity (versions 4.5 - 8.4)
- Tru64 UNIX (versions 3.x - 5.x)
- HP MPE-ix (versions 6.0 - 7.5)
In addition, and importantly, we seek a team player and a skilled and savvy client service professional; one who will successfully assist non-technical personnel with highly technical matters; one who is a patient, thorough and adept communicator.
This is an immediate need. Please forward resume for prompt consideration. Local candidates only.