Associate Scientist, Protein Purification – Contract to Start/RTP Area Biotech
Our client, a Durham-based biotechnology company that is developing sustainable, biologically-based products with applications in a wide range of industries, is actively recruiting for a very bright and capable Associate Scientist to join its R&D team.
This position will begin as a 6-month contract, with possible extensions.
The focus of this role will be the expression and purification of recombinant proteins. The Associate Scientist will run assays, track results, analyze data and report to the larger R&D team.
We seek a Scientist who brings 1+ years of similar experience (including lab work in academia) as well as an independent, self-directed work style. There is a lot happening and we seek a go-getter who gets things done.
Other Things to Note:
- This position is on-site at the company’s Durham facility. Some flexibility of hours
- This Scientist will be working primarily on optimization/efficiency solutions. Specific tasks will include:
- express and purify recombinant proteins, from a variety of organisms
- perform the associated data analysis and quality control
- present the results in a group setting
- work to establish novel expression and purification methods en route to difficult-to-obtain recombinant proteins
- continuously improve established methods and workflows
- manage and support the maintenance of equipment
- help evaluate new technologies to expand capabilities
- This is an emerging company in which processes and procedures are still being developed and/or enhanced. We seek a process improvement-oriented candidate; someone who will work well in this building setting and contribute to R&D Best Practices efforts.
Targeted candidate will offer a BS in related science (MS preferred) and 1+ years of directly-related protein purification experience.
Other priorities include:
- Broad experience with expressing recombinant proteins from E. coli.
- Experience eukaryotic cell culture (e.g. mammalian or insect systems) would be a plus
- Experience in recombinant protein purification (affinity, gel-filtration, ion exchange etc.).
- Background in protein purification techniques such as affinity, ion exchange or size exclusion chromatography
- Comfortable working with different FPLC systems.
- Experience in the biochemical/biophysical characterization of proteins (SDS-PAGE, WB, MS, DLS, TSA, etc.)
- Excellent problem-solving skills including ability to trouble-shoot new experimental setups and assess novel protein targets.
- Thorough, clean and compliant documentation skills - display great attention to detail, maintain clear records and can organize, report, and communicate the results effectively.
Finally, we seek a candidate who will thrive in this high-expectations, empowered, mission-driven setting; someone who is industrious, resourceful, focused, and fully prepared to help wherever the help is needed.
Please forward resume for prompt consideration. Local candidates only.