Biomanufacturing Engineer (Mammalian Cell Culture) – Emerging Biotech/Top $$ (Will Relo/NC)
Our client is an NC–based biotech that has gained worldwide attention for the work it is doing to bring cell-cultured human milk to market. This is revolutionary technology for which there is infinite demand. It is funded by top venture capital firms including Bill Gates’s Breakthrough Ventures.
It is an exciting time to join a company doing exciting work. This role will focus on equipment selection and/or design. We seek a very sharp, skilled and industrious Engineer who will bring the knowledge and savvy needed to ensure the right equipment is in place to scale up and optimize production.
It is an essential role and company will pay generous wage, including relo, to retain an excellent candidate.
Key Things to Note:
- The company’s technology produces nutritionally equivalent breastmilk from cultured human mammary cells. This milk, intended to be as nutritional as breastmilk, will offer the convenience of infant formula.
- To date the technology has been able to produce small quantities of milk. This Engineer will work in partnership with other engineers and operators to specify and source equipment needed for expansion and scale up (incubators, bioreactors, perfusion cell expansion systems, filtration systems, aseptic packagers, etc.). Experience with mammalian cell culture (or similar) is required.
- This Engineer may also design new equipment when commercially available equipment does not meet the need. Ability to write technical disclosures, build prototypes and run proof of concept experiments will be important.
- This is a start-up setting. Employees are hands-on, mission-driven, resourceful, flexible and can-do. We seek go-getters who bring a similar, get-it-done-right work style.
- This is a hybrid role – with time split between on-site and at-home work.
- Prepare cell culture media and aseptically maintaining mammalian cells in a 3D system on a daily basis in laboratory and production settings
- Conduct experimental research or project design involving at least one or more of the following: 2D & 3D cell culture, biological and biochemical assays, statistical analysis for process control, coding for life sciences, biomanufacturing scale-up, bioprocessing
- In collaboration with operators and other colleagues, specify process equipment (incubators, bioreactors, perfusion cell expansion systems, filtration systems, aseptic packagers, support equipment) and shop those specifications with vendors.
- Write decision analyses to rank equipment options.
- Support the writing of appropriations requests with capacity calculations to help leadership make informed capital allocation decisions.
- Where commercial equipment is not available or too costly, design new equipment for mammalian cell culture in a hollow fiber bioreactor.
- This includes cartridges, flowpaths, environmental control (C02, temp) and measurement systems.
- Write technical disclosures, build prototypes and run proof of concept experiments to support patenting of new inventions.
- With the help of a project manager, organize work crews and be the onsite technical representative for solving installation issues.
- Order, install and commission new process equipment.
- Perform critical analyses and interpret data for actionable decision-making that impacts the greater company
- Attend industry conferences to stay up to date on available equipment offerings.
Targeted candidates will offer a related Engineering degree and 2+ years of experience developing or improving manufacturing processes using 2D & 3D cell culture, statistical process control and bioreactor optimization.
Other priorities include:
- Experience scaling a bioprocess from bench-top to full production
- Demonstrated experience sourcing, commissioning and qualifying capital equipment for bioprocessing in a cGMP environment
- Hands-on experience in one or more of the following areas: mammalian cell culture, hollow fiber bioreactor operation, hollow fiber bioreactor process development, and bioreactor data analysis
- Experience/familiarity with cGMP process equipment and operations such as cell culture, bioreactors, filtration, chromatography, autoclaves, incubators, etc.
- Ability to troubleshoot process equipment issues and implement solutions
- Ability to analyze and synthesize conclusions from large datasets via statistics software
- Familiarity with the production of monoclonal antibodies, the related bioreactors, and upstream processing equipment
Finally, we seek an Engineer who will thrive in this start-up setting; someone who can work through ambiguity to get to smart solutions; someone who can switch readily and stay focused on a goal; someone who can contribute broadly and support others; someone who is eager to bring this dream to life.
This is an immediate need. Please forward Word resume for prompt consideration.