Controller, Emerging Biotech (SEC/SOX/FP&A) - Top $$
Our client, an RTP-based biotech that is developing a portfolio of novel immunotherapies to treat a variety of tumors, is actively recruiting for an exceedingly sharp, can-do and knowledgeable Financial professional to assume key role on its Finance and Accounting team.
This company is doing important work in the oncology space, and its therapies are widely anticipated by the medical and business communities. As they build, it is essential that the right leaders are in place to manage all financial functions. This Controller will be instrumental in that effort.
Things to note:
- This Controller will report to the CFO and oversee all Accounting and Reporting matters as well as contribute to Financial Planning and Analysis (FP&A) efforts.
- This is a clinical-stage company that is preparing for future growth and expansion, including possible IPOs. Right candidate will be a highly skilled technical accountant with extensive SEC reporting and compliance experience.
- This Controller will begin as a department of one, with the intention of hiring accounting staff within the year. Seek candidate who enjoys supervising a small team and personally tackling complex financial matters.
- Company uses QuickBooks with the intention of transitioning to a more robust system in the near-term. Experience with accounting system selection and implementation would be valuable.
- In addition to accounting/reporting functions, this Controller will be involved in financial analysis, cost management, capital investments, etc. Seek business savvy professional who will bring financial insights to leadership in order to help make smart business decisions.
- This is an emerging business with policies and practices evolving. Seek flexible and adaptable candidate who works well in a dynamic, fast-paced and sometimes ambiguous setting.
Selected duties will include:
- Maintains a documented system of accounting policies and procedures; implements a system of controls over accounting transactions to minimize risk
- Oversees the operations of the Accounting Department, which include accounts payable, accounts receivable, bank reconciliations, and payroll. Manages all daily, monthly and quarterly activities.
- Oversees the production of periodic financial reports; ensures that the reported results comply with generally accepted accounting principles or international financial reporting standards
- Recommends benchmarks that will be used to measure the company’s performance
- Produces the annual budget and forecasts; reports significant budget differences to management
- Provides financial analysis, with emphasis on capital investments, pricing decisions, and contract negotiations
- Works with external auditors and provides needed information for the annual audit
- Files quarterly and annual reports with the Securities and Exchange Commission as needed
- Assists with developing routine and ad hoc business analyses including cash flows and operational forecasting
This is an important position and Company will pay excellent wage to attract and retain the right candidate.
Right candidate will offer a financial degree, CPA certification (preferred) and 8+ years in increasingly responsible accounting roles, ideally within emerging business settings. Biotech/pharma or related industry experience is required. SEC knowledge and experience is also important. IPO highly desirable.
Other priorities include:
- Hands-on management style
- Substantial FP&A including budgeting, forecasting, pricing, lease-buy analyses, cost containment, etc.
- Keen business and operational savvy
- Expert level Excel; modeling capabilities
- Systems implementation experience a plus
- Developmental supervisory skills
- Longevity and impact in previous positions
In addition, because this position will involve extensive interface with senior level executives, we seek a financial professional who is an adept communicator. One who can readily gain the respect of this high expectations constituency.
Finally, we seek a self-directed, focused, industrious, responsive and resourceful candidate who will thrive in this emerging and evolving setting. A lot is happening. We seek a contributor who will make a difference.
Please forward Word resume for prompt consideration. Company is targeting local candidates at this time.