Director of Advocacy (Healthcare/Medical) – Remote Position
Our client, a North Carolina-based national medical association, is actively recruiting for an exceedingly competent and knowledgeable candidate, with particular expertise in advocacy, including lobbying, in the healthcare space, to assume key role on its Public Affairs team.
The focus of the role will be to develop and maintain productive relations with all government authorities that affect, support, and enhance the Association’s healthcare policy goals.
- They will build relationships and liaise with government entities (federal, state, local) and other bodies (ACC, IAC, HRS, etc.) that regulate or influence policies.
- They will manage coding, AMA, and lobbying consultants, and perform ongoing monitoring and analysis of proposed legislation, emerging issues, regulatory policies, and trends to determine the potential impact on the organization.
This is a critical role and identifying the right candidate is a top priority at this time.
Other Things to Note:
- This is a remote position. Client is targeting candidates from nearby (to NC) states, to facilitate occasional in-office meetings and conferences.
- This is a supervisory role, overseeing association staff as well as outside consultants and lobbyists.
- The Association supports the cardiovascular realm. Related expertise would be valuable.
- This Director will regularly interface with government officials to advocate for industry needs and influence policy. Strong lobbying background will be critical.
- Role will require regular travel for conferences, meetings, etc.
- Collaborates with Advocacy Committee, CEO, and Executive Committee in planning and advancing the Association’s public policy agenda in state and federal arenas.
- Manages the Advocacy Committee and other taskforces related to legislative and regulatory issues.
- Develops and monitors budgets related to advocacy initiatives.
- Leads the Association’s initiatives with the AMA, including the HOD, RUC, CPT Panel, Advocacy Group, etc.
- Manages advocacy relationships with other specialties counterparts.
- Manages relationships with public policy constituencies: policymakers, advocates, partners, and patient groups.
- Manages policy-related consultants including lobbyists, coding specialists, and data analysts.
- Oversees grassroots mobilization and activation efforts.
- Contributes to media and organizational communications in policy related matters.
- Coordinates with the Industry Round Table Department to align advocacy efforts with the Association’s IRT partners and ensure that all contractual obligations are met.
- Coordinates the development of Scientific Sessions events related to advocacy issues (e.g., ASE’s Value Forum).
- Represents the Association at industry events including RUC, CPT and AMA meetings
Targeted candidate will offer a related degree (advanced degree preferred) and 5+ years of experience in legislative and regulatory advocacy roles. Experience with non-profit membership associations and medical organizations desired.
Other priorities include:
- Extensive lobbying experience
- Experience overseeing staff and consultants
- Exceptional communication skills (polished, engaging, persuasive, succinct, clear)
- Strong project planning and management skills
- Some knowledge of continuing education processes
- Broad healthcare exposure, including understanding of coding strategies and regulations
- Track record of achievement
Finally, we seek an exceedingly competent and focused professional who will readily garner the respect and cooperation of this broad, busy and high expectations constituency. We seek a candidate of impact.
This is an immediate need. Please forward Word resume for prompt consideration.