Director, Information Technology (RTP Biotech) – Start-Up Experience Preferred
Our client, a NC-based company that is developing cutting-edge, peptide-based products in crop protection, is actively recruiting for an exceeding competent and industrious candidate to lead all IT/IS functions.
This is a hands-on leadership role which will require a forwarding-thinking strategist as well a skilled, talented and patient tactician. It is an essential role and company will offer generous compensation (including rich base, bonus and equity) to attract and retain the right person.
Key Things to Note:
- The company is backed by major players in the ag/crop protection space. Its biological products are revolutionary for the industry and are highly anticipated by growers, distributors, etc. Marketed products are exceeding expectations, and the future is very bright.
- This IT Director will be instrumental in ensuring that the right technology is in place to meet the needs of the future. This Director will start by performing a gap analysis, and take it from there. Seek a builder – one who has “built” before.
- The company employs an MSP, which they intend to continue. Eventually, this IT Director will hire an internal team.
- The company has two sites (RTP and out-of-state), with a strong R&D focus. Experience building and managing IT in a lab-based setting will be important.
- The company uses a Microsoft 365 operating system. Full list of (current) technologies is available – and subject to change as this Director gets settled.
- This is a hybrid role splitting time between remote and on-site work at the company’s RTP offices.
- This is a start-up setting. They are planning for the future – with a direction but not a roadmap. We seek a thinker and a doer who, despite ambiguity, interruption and shifting priorities, can develop and implement smart and effective IT solutions.
This Director will ensure that information technology infrastructure and systems provide optimal support to the organization.
- Identifies the IT strategy and related solutions to support technology capabilities for the company
- Works collaboratively with end users and vendors to optimize the use of technology and include technology applications as an integral part of day-to-day operations
- Plans for both the organic growth of the IT department as well as cultivating 3rd-party vendor relationships to meet company business objectives. Structures, leads, trains, and develops IT support for maximum effectiveness.
- Manages implementation and execution of new/upgraded information systems via well-defined plans
- Monitors and reports on progress/risks of IT projects to all stakeholders and implements risk-mitigation efforts as needed
- Evaluates and implements IT procedures and equipment for maximum efficiency, security and cost containment
- Stays abreast of trends and regulations to ensure effectiveness and compliance
- Develops and maintains the company Disaster Recovery Plan
- Develops/selects and conducts user training on an as-needed basis
Targeted candidate will offer a related degree (advanced degree preferred) and 7+ years of IT/IS experience in a biotech or Ag setting. Start-up or emerging business experience strongly preferred.
Other priorities include:
- Proven track record of creating business plans to drive IT strategy and operations in a rapidly growing organization
- Progressively responsible experience in systems analysis, information systems management, network operating systems, software applications/support, hardware/software troubleshooting, or programming of integrated applications
- Substantial experience leading IT in an R&D/lab-based setting
- Deep knowledge of cyber security best practices
- Excellent project management skills with the ability to manage multiple projects of moderate to complex scope
- Extensive experience supervising the work of IT professionals as well as MSP providers
- Budget management experience within an Information Technology or related computer/information systems department
Finally, we seek a can-do go-getter who will thrive in this dynamic, high expectations, high rewards setting. The company is growing exponentially, and the IT needs are expanding rapidly. We seek the IT leader who will enjoy the challenge and meet the moment.
Please forward resume for prompt consideration. NC candidates targeted. Technology details available upon request.