EH&S Specialist/Leader (Cancer Diagnostics/Biologics) – Top $$/Contract to Start
Our client, an RTP area company that is developing cutting-edge technology to guide precision therapy for cancer patients has an immediate need for a highly skilled and knowledgeable EH&S expert to develop and implement smart, effective and compliance-driven policies for its start-up operations.
This is a contract role with long-term potential. Company will offer generous wage to attract and retain a star.
Key Things to Note:
- This company, which recently closed Series A financing, is committed to transforming cancer care in diagnostics and reshaping drug development by providing a technology for rapid therapeutic profiling.
- This position is responsible for helping to build policies and practices that ensure a safe and compliant operation from an Environmental, Health and Safety standpoint. It is a start-up and requires a candidate with substantial knowledge of Safety Best Practices for lab and office environments, including Safety Data Sheet protocols
- Role will also focus on Environmental Safety. Understanding of regulations for disposing of chemicals and other biohazards will be important. Company employs a 3rd party vendor for biohazard disposal.
- In addition to establishing policies, this EH&S leader will be involved in training employees in set policies and ensuring compliance. Seek strong communicator who will champion a culture of safety.
- This position will be on-site at the company’s Durham offices.
The focus of this role will be to implement programs, policies, and assessments to ensure Company employees have a safe work environment. This role will help ensure compliance with local and federal health and safety regulations and may review reports and findings to monitor site performance for potential trends.
- In collaboration with department heads, develop and implement in the Environmental, Health and Safety program. Provide support as needed.
- Coordinate the actions related to Hazardous Waste (WAA, profiles, and coordinate disposal)
- Develop and communicate EH&S related topics across the organization. Manage the SDS database and lead chemical inventory activities
- Identify and implement continuous improvement projects related to the EH&S program
- Institute a “first responders” team and ensure the team is compliant and trained
- Coordinate the overall training plan and develop in-house trainings
- Conduct regular walkthroughs throughout the facilities for identification of facility/jobsite hazards and risks to prevent injuries, spills, or other EH&S impacts and to ensure compliance with company and customer-specific safety standards and government regulations
- Conduct accident investigation and completed related tasks such as notification, report, correctives measures and lesson learned
- Compile and report EH&S data for corporate reporting including OSHA forms and local environmental reports
- Collaborate with managers, supervisors and staff to institute corrective actions for unsafe and/or potentially unsafe acts, conditions, or equipment
Targeted candidate will offer a related degree and 4+ years of experience working in EH&S, in the biotech, pharma or chemical industry. Some experience in a start-up and/or building policies would be valuable.
Other priorities include:
- Working knowledge of laboratory safety, bloodborne pathogen safety and associated PPE
- Working knowledge of chemical safety and hygiene
- Knowledge of SDS protocols and best practices
- Competency regarding office ergonomics & OSHA requirements
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and prioritize workload
- Strong interpersonal communication and time management skills.
- A flexible attitude with respect to work assignments and new learning
Finally, we seek a leader with the ability to drive policies and champion change; someone who is resourceful, focused, disciplined, tenacious and collaborative; someone who is excited to contribute to this company’s important and impactful mission.
This is an immediate need. Please forward resume/CV for prompt consideration. Local candidates only.