Manager/Director, Structural Engineering Firm, Design Division – Raleigh (Will Relo)
Our client is a rapidly-expanding structural engineering firm that has built an outstanding reputation for quality and service. It specializes in low- to mid-rise residential and commercial projects and prides itself on its performance excellence as well as its team-based, people matter culture.
It is growing its Design division (it also has a highly successful Inspections division) and seeks a very sharp, knowledgeable, skilled leader to oversee this group.
Firm will pay industry leading wage (including relo for out-of-state candidates) to attract and retain the right person.
Key Things to Note:
- This Division Leader will oversee a team of ~ 5 engineers. They work with builders, owners, architects, etc. to provide structural engineering guidance for their designs. We seek a highly skilled technical engineer who is also a strong communicator and leader. Supervisory experience will be important.
- In addition to overseeing the technical work on projects, this Manager will manage the financial elements of the division (budgets, revenue goals, etc.). Seek business-minded engineer with a strong P&L mentality.
- The firm does residential, commercial and industrial work. Broad structural engineering exposure is required. Wood design is a must.
- This firm is in building mode. Seek engineer who is excited to be instrumental in its growth. Entrepreneurial energy is welcome.
- Professional Engineer (PE) license is required. NC is strongly preferred.
The Manager/Director (client is open to either level) will report to the owner of the firm and will 1) oversee and seal the work product of a team of design engineers, drafters, and project managers 2) provide proposals for new work, and 3) foster new and existing client relationships.
- Oversee preparation of structural drawings by design engineers and drafters by working closely with the design team to coordinate structural drawing layouts and connection details for low- to mid-rise residential, commercial, and industrial projects
- Ensure the quality and accuracy of structural construction documents produced by the design team, and finalize and stamp structural drawings
- Directly supervise staff in the Design Division. Responsibilities include:
- interviewing, hiring, and training employees
- planning, assigning and directing work
- appraising performance
- providing coaching; resolving concerns and/or conflicts
- Provide the administrative team with timely and accurate quotes for pricing and anticipated start and completion dates for projects
- Establish standard work processes, automate processes, and codify best practices for the performance and delivery of engineering plans and activities
- Lead the marketing of the design department’s services, fostering and maintaining client relationships, and ensuring exceptional customer service is provided by the Design Division
Targeted candidate will offer a Bachelor’s degree (Master’s preferred) in Structural or Civil Engineering (with a focus on structures) and 7+ years of experience in structural design work. PE license required. Supervisory experience also important.
Other priorities include:
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret building codes, professional journals, technical procedures, and governmental regulations.
- Ability to write reports and other business correspondence.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
- Experience with wood design
- Knowledge of word processing software; spreadsheet software; drafting software (AutoCAD or similar); structural calculation software (Enercalc and RetainPro or similar); and structural modeling software (RISA 2D/3D or similar).
- Track record of longevity and achievement
Finally and importantly, we see a great team player – someone who is hungry, humble and smart. This firm has established a culture of empowerment, collaboration and respect. We seek a leader who epitomizes those qualities.
This is an immediate need. Please forward resume for prompt consideration.