Process Development Engineer (Protein Purification/Downstream) – RTP Biotech
Our client, a RTP area biotech that is developing transformative and sustainable solutions to replace preservatives and biocides in everyday products, is actively recruiting for a sharp and self-directed Process Development Engineer to join its top-notch team.
The company, which uses the power of biotechnology to replace petrochemicals with more sustainable, engineered enzymes, is moving from the Lab to Manufacturing and we seek a Process Development Engineer who is looking to learn and contribute to that effort.
Key Things to Note:
- The focus of the role is to optimize the protein/enzyme purification processes in preparation for tech transfer and scale-up. Substantial knowledge of protein biochemistry and recombinant protein expression as well as scale up experience will be important.
- This is a downstream role. Although R&D bkgd is preferred, client will consider those from manufacturing, presuming they bring extensive experience with process development and troubleshooting. Knowledge centrifugation, crystallization, homogenization, micro filtration, ultra-filtration, etc. all assumed and important.
- The company engages CMOs for production. Collaborative work style will be essential. Experience working in a CDMO setting also desirable.
- This is a start-up setting in which structure, policies, procedures and practices are still being developed. Seek industrious, adaptable and resourceful candidate who will thrive.
- This is an on-site role at the company’s RTP offices.
- Contribute to the development of commercially scalable processes for the purification of recombinant proteins and enzymes expressed in microbial hosts (e.g., bacteria or yeast)
- Implement and execute the purification of recombinant proteins
- Participate in the development of final product specifications
- Support development of unit operations at the bench -scale (1-20L) such as, centrifugation, homogenization, crystallization, ultra-filtration, depth filtration, ion exchange and preparative chromatography
- Collaboratively design and execute experiments (DOE), analyze data, write and review technical reports and protocols, and present during team meetings
- Prepare technology transfer documents including detailed process descriptions, mass balances, process flow diagrams (PFD’s)
- Research, learn, and incorporate promising techniques and technologies in protein purification
Targeted candidate will offer an Engineering degree and 2+ years of experience with protein/enzyme purification with particular focus on Downstream Process Development. Strong internship experience will be considered.
Other priorities include:
- Sound understanding of protein biochemistry and recombinant protein expression in microbial hosts relevant to downstream purification
- Hands-on experience with large scale protein purification downstream processing unit operations such as preparative chromatography, centrifugation, homogenization, micro filtration, ultra-filtration, etc.
- Practical application of DoE and QbD approaches to process development
- Familiarity with (many of the following):
- ammonium sulfate precipitation, or purification from bacterial inclusion bodies
- protein purification using affinity, size exclusion, ion exchange, and hydrophobic interaction chromatography
- final formulation, granulation, spray drying
Further, we seek a highly versatile, eager and adaptable go-getter who brings a process improvement mindset and who will thrive in this dynamic, empowered and mission-driven setting.
This is an immediate need and a direct hire opportunity. Local candidates are targeted.
Please forward Word resume for prompt consideration.