Senior Associate, VC Life Sciences Portfolio – Top $$ (PhD, MBA preferred)
Our client, one of the top venture capital investors in the country, is expanding its NC-based team. It is actively recruiting for an exceedingly competent, self-directed and intellectually-curious candidate, with strong scientific credentials, to join its Life Sciences division.
This company invests in high innovation life science, agtech, food tech and climate tech companies. It also owns and/or manages Life Science real estate holdings, including incubator space for seed-stage start-ups. This Senior Associate (client is also open to Principal level) will be the go-to researcher/analyst for identifying and evaluating investment opportunities.
We seek a candidate with deep technical and scientific expertise as well as keen business savvy.
Company will offer a rich comp package to attract and retain a star.
Key Things to Note:
- This Senior Associate will join the Research Triangle Park, NC team. Local candidates are preferred but client will also relo high quality candidates who are specifically targeting the RTP area. Ability and inclination to network with industry leaders in the RTP space will be essential.
- This Senior Associate will be responsible for identifying/evaluating new investment opportunities, performing due diligence activities, monitoring and reevaluating existing holdings, and maintaining up-to-date and in-depth knowledge of market trends, scientific/medical innovations, etc. Strong bkgd in the sciences, including ability to evaluate asset viability and market potential, is required.
- This Senior Associate will also be an important contact for the seed-stage real estate tenants (and/or prospects). They will provide underwriting assessments for these companies as well as regular evaluation of market potential, funding options, business planning tools, regulatory insight, etc. We seek a candidate who will develop quality relationships with these critical constituents.
- This Senior Associate will be responsible for creating concise and impactful written reports, correspondence, and responses to requests from team members, executives and others. Polished, professional, clean and clear written communication skills will be important.
- Research Triangle Park is a thriving science and technology hub. This Senior Associate will need to become entrenched in the local market including universities, medical academic institutions, early-stage companies, etc. We seek an entrepreneurial and driven candidatewhose strong scientific credentials are complemented by engaging interpersonal and communication skills.
This Senior Associate will:
- support the Company’s venture capital activity and related due diligence on potential early-stage investment opportunities, including the creation of pre-diligence research reports on key areas of interest
- identify new investment opportunities including performing landscape analyses on sector and regional interests and engaging with existing venture investments
- support underwriting for prospective tenants and closely monitor the existing tenant portfolio, by developing relationships with management at tenant companies, ongoing evaluation of clinical/commercial status, fundraising efforts, business plan review, etc.
- maintain a strong presence and network throughout the RTP life science and agtech ecosystem and beyond
- represent the company’s brand, mission, and impact in the life science and agtech ecosystem in the RTP area
Targeted candidate will offer a BS in related scientific or technical field (advanced degrees preferred) and 5+ years of experience in the life science industry. Understanding of life science concepts including the drug development process, the healthcare and regulatory landscape, and human disease expected and required. Experience with business development, portfolio management, innovation, venture financing, or translational research preferred.
Other priorities include:
- Exposure to early-stage company creation, venture investment, finance, and/or related activities
- Strong research and analytical skills
- Outstanding project management skills, including ability to organize and manage multiple projects concurrently
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Connections in the life science and Ag industries, universities, academic medical institutions, and early-stage companies, particularly in the Research Triangle Park area, highly desirable.
Finally, we seek an exceedingly smart and business-savvy go-getter who is flexible, driven, innovative, collaborative and mission-driven; someone who overcomes obstacles, brings new ideas and contributes significantly to the shared goals.
This is an immediate need. Please forward resume for prompt consideration.